Friday, January 20, 2012

Hacienda Fuentes Cantina & Grill

Late last month I met my husband in Pekin for lunch at Hacienda Fuentes Cantina & Grill.
We sat in a booth in the second dining room and were served a basket of crunchy tortilla chips with salsa.
The waiter came by for my drink order but I still had to take in the many menu options, so he said he would be back for our food order.
I decided on the Tacos Hacienda ($7.99), three pork tacos with grilled onions and tomatillo sauce with a side of rice and beans. The tacos were tasty, complete with crunchy onions and were served in flour tortillas.
At a table nearby while we were dining, the staff sang happy birthday to a sombrero-wearing young lady, and proceeded to smear some whipped cream on her face. Later I noticed some photos of similar celebrants, so it must be their tradition.
Years ago before there were several small, local Mexican restaurants in the Peoria area, I remember helping someone celebrate a birthday at Chi-Chi's where they topped the birthday girl's head with a huge sombrero and snapped a photo of her.
Hacienda Fuentes has lunch specials starting at $4.50.

No comments: