Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Gebby's Family Restaurant

Last week we were on our way out of town and looking for some place to have breakfast.
I hadn't been to Gebby's Family Restaurant in years, so I suggested it.
We arrived at 726 E. War Memorial Drive in Peoria Heights just before 9 a.m., and were seated quickly. But from the time we sat down, I noticed a constant stream of people coming in, and many times people had, and were willing, to wait for a table to empty up. All this on a weekday, too.
The restaurant was tidy and nondescript, with light wood and light paint colors throughout. Wagon wheels were mounted inside window openings next to the booths.
The coffee was hot but not bold, and I enjoyed a glass of grapefruit juice, which they offer in three sizes.
The service was efficient and the food was good.
I ordered eggs Benedict and my eggs were covered in Hollandaise, perched atop nicely crisped English muffins, appropriately accompanied by a steak knife to cut through said crispy muffins.
My husband had biscuits topped with a thick, creamy gravy and a side of corned beef hash.
I noticed several homestyle lunch specials posted on the wall, such as meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, which would hit just the right spot during the lunch hour.
Gebby's is only open for breakfast and lunch.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gebby's is a family favorite of ours. The service is quick and the food is great. The prices are really good too. I've always wondered about the eggs benedict and I think I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!