Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Velvet Freeze

I think Velvet Freeze of the same fame used to be a chain of restaurants, stretching across more states than just Illinois.
However, Central Illinois is now home to the last surviving few of the "Home of the Wonderdog" locations. The I-74 construction ran one location off from Forrest Hill Ave. out to the Shoppes at Grand Prairie.
There is a location in Peoria's Campustown and East Peoria's Fondulac Plaza.
I've heard of people who have driven four hours to acquire a Wonderdog. Now, they're not my favorite thing, but I love a good hot dog (sans chili) any day.
You can also have a bowl of chili and assorted fast-food fare such as spicy chicken tenders, chicken nuggets, corn dog nuggets (who doesn't love a place that serves these puppies), and apparently a delectable delight dubbed Frito pie.

February 2010 — The last two Velvet Freeze locations in the area have closed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was born in Peoria at St. Francis hospital in 1952.I grew up on Duryea Ave. in Peoria Heights and went to Peoria Heights grade school. I remember the Pabst Blue Ribbon whistle would blow everyday at noon letting us know it was lunch time. I went to Woodruff High because we moved to 910 McClure Ave. At Woodruff I met my future husband, and in 1973 we moved to Phoenix, AZ. I don't regret leaving my hometown or driving in that snow and living in that freezing weather. It isn't that bad until one never ever experiences again, then you know you did the right thing. But I often think of Velevet Freeze and crave their hot dogs. The chile dog has a taste like no other. They are the best!

Peoria Peepers said...

OK, now I'm craving a Velvet Freeze chili dog!

Anonymous said...

I live in Fort Myers Florida and for years my belly has grumbled and my mind has raced for a Velvet Freeze dog. I grew up in that area and sat at the stools in East Peoria throughout my younger days. I will miss them even more now, hearing that they closed. Fred was the first owner in East Peoria and what a great, nice guy he was.