Thursday, December 06, 2007

Road trip

We recently went to Milwaukee for a short getaway. We try to make it up there a few times a year, and one of our traditions while in town is to hit the Alterra Coffee, on Lincoln Memorial Drive along the lakefront.
Alterra is a local coffee roaster, and this location utilizes an old river flushing station to house a neat coffee shop and storefront.
Alterra roasts some varieties of Fair Trade Certified coffee, on top of working in an eco-friendly manner. Using recycled materials, geothermal climate control, and renewable energy, Alterra stands out for its conservation efforts. They have also recently become part of a local business alliance, which you can find out more about here.
I've enjoyed things like baked oatmeal, granola, breakfast burritos and fresh squeezed orange juice here, in addition to great coffee.
This time I was thinking they needed to speed up the coffee serving production line, but when I was served this artistic cuppa joe, I changed my mind. Very nice.

On our way back through Illinois, we stopped to look for some lunch. We took an exit into Rochelle and passed up the Iron Skillet. We ended up stopping at an older place called The Country School restaurant, which featured a red school house sign. The food was standard fast food fare, and our server informed us that they are known for the chicken and cole slaw, but we had already ordered burgers and onion rings.
The burgers were good, and as I sat and enjoyed mine, I started out the window at the new McDonalds next door and was pleased to see several cars drive in to The Country School drive-thru lane, even at 2:30 in the afternoon on a week day.

On our way back to the Interstate, I spotted Vince the chef of Vince's Pizza, and we drove by to check him out. Old Vince looked a little scared on this cloudy day, but looks like he serves up a big pizza pie.

3 comments:

Ms. PH said...

I love Alterra in Milwaukee. However, I have to correct you. The Alterra you are talking about is on Lincoln Memorial Parkway next to the lakefront. There is one on Prospect, but it is not on the lakefront. My brother and his wife live on Prospect on the hill right above Alterra.

Next time you are in Milwaukee, check out my brother's wine shop on Brady Street - Waterford Wine Shoppe.

Peoria Peepers said...

Ah, you are correct, thanks.
We always make a stop on Brady Street for the cigar shop, so next time we'll be sure to stop at the wine shop, too. We love wine!

Fraochán said...

AWHHH The Country School!! I hadn't thought of that in awhile...having spent half my life living in the Princeton area, little places like that were the norm growing up.....