Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankfulness

This week my thoughts turn to what I am thankful for. Friends and family and health, of course, but I'm also thankful for things unique to central Illinois.
Here's a rundown of 10 things I enjoy about central Illinois this time of year:

1. Bishop Hill's holiday celebrations and Swedish meatballs at the Red Oak
2. Shopping at Abe's in Peoria's Metro Centre
3. Local fresh roasted coffee beans from Leaves-n-Beans in Peoria Heights and The Blend in Washington
4. Saturday lunch specials at the Hofbrau in Peoria
5. Buying gourmet stocking stuffers at Lindy's Downtown Market in Washington
6. Irish coffee at Sullivan's in Peoria Heights
7. Shopping at the 401 shops in downtown Peoria after lunch at Café 401
8. Browsing through the Illinois Antique Center in downtown Peoria
9. Shopping on Seminary Street in Galesburg, with lunch at the Landmark Café and then enjoying a cup of coffee at Innkeepers
10. Driving on Forrest Hill Avenue and Grandview Drive to look at holiday decorations after the first snow

November 25, 2008 — Opening my newspaper this morning, I was sad to see that Leaves-n-Beans has closed. I always pick up holiday gifts there, and have enjoyed much coffee and many lunches in the house over the years.

No comments: