Monday, October 05, 2009

Jane Dough Bakery & Café

I was driving through downtown Peoria trying to decide where to have lunch when I came upon an open parking space right in front of Jane Dough Bakery & Café.
I'd been wanting to try the place out since they replaced the City News Café, so I pulled into the space.
Digging into my purse for some change for the meter, I was pleased to find over an hour of time left on the timer.
I noticed a help wanted sign in the window of the café.
A sidewalk sign in front proclaimed the special to be turkey meatloaf with bistro fries for $7.50. Glancing at a few of the sandwich options, I decided a warm meal sounded good, so I ordered the special at the counter, paid and then took a seat.
The owner, Anne, soon brought my meal artfully arranged on a tin pie plate topped with waxed paper. She mentioned she had forgotten to bring me a fork and stepped back behind the counter.
I waited a bit, but she didn't return, so I went to the counter to ask for a fork.
Fork in hand, I dug into the moist meatloaf, finding it hearty, warm and full of great seasoning. I have to say it is one of the best meatloaves I have ever tried.
The bistro fries turned out to be baked potatoes sliced into wedges, fanned on my plate and sprinkled with herbs.
While dining, I checked out some of the other offerings listed, which included gazpacho, breakfast wraps, sandwiches and home made granola, plus the café offers organic breads and uses some local farm ingredients.
Box lunches are available as well.
Located at 311 SW Main Street in Peoria, Jane Dough has some great breakfast and lunch options, and it's great to see them supporting local farms as well.

April 2010 — Jane Dough has closed.

3 comments:

snicketmom said...

That is such a cute name. I look forward to checking it out.

Ginny said...

Why did you feel it necessary to note that the server forgot your fork?

Peoria Peepers said...

It was part of the experience.