Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mr. G's Chicago Style

I was first introduced to Mr. G's Chicago Style about 10 years ago. At the time, I didn't fully appreciate it.Mr. G's caught my attention this summer when I heard they had been the 49th inductee into the Vienna Beef Hot Dog Hall of Fame.
From the Vienna Beef web site: "Hot dog and delicatessen operators become eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame based on a variety of criteria including how long they have been representing Vienna Beef products. The youngest of the bunch having been around for about 20 years, and the oldest almost 50."
I enjoy a good Vienna beef Chicago dog as much as the next guy, so my husband and I stopped in for lunch.
We ordered the special, two Chicago dogs, and my husband added some sort of chili-topped dog as well, along with an order of fries.
I had one of the Chicago dogs and some of their hand cut fries. The dog was good, complete with the appropriate shocking green relish and the fries, wrapped in foil with one of the hot dogs, were some of the best I can remember in years, thin cut, greasy-tasting fries with bits of skin still on.
We made another stop several weeks later and I decided to try the Italian beef. StfRon ordered two Chicago dogs and fries. With two small drinks, the total was $16.99.
The Italian beef was good as well, but I'm going back to the Chicago dog next time, with the tasty fries, of course.
They also serve several other items, like Polish sausage, salads, gyros and even a few carnival-type desserts like chocolate-dipped cheesecake on a stick and funnel cake fries.
Mr. G's has a limited amount of seating inside at their Main Street, Peoria spot, and several tables outside. If you do choose to dine in, be warned you will probably smell like french fry oil for quite some time after you leave.
Maybe that lingering aroma is their way of sucking you back in.

October, 2011 — Mr. G's has closed.

2 comments:

mazr said...

Best Italian beef in town: Spotted Cow

Peoria Peepers said...

I can't argue with that. 95% of the time I go to the Spotted Cow I get the Italian beef.