Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Walt's Dos

Walt's Tavern, opened in 1936 at 2301 W. Garden St. in Peoria, is now Walt's Dos, the second incarnation.
I had the pleasure of checking out this rustic neighborhood tavern/restaurant recently for lunch. This place is true old school, and it's neat to look at the old memorabilia. Enjoy a Dos Equis on tap while you're here.
Many of the original recipes from Walt's Tavern are still on the menu, including fried chicken, and are now accompanied by several Mexican entrées. I also noticed they have the Mexican egg dishes on their menu. I LOVE this stuff, and it reminds me of my trip to Puerto Rico.
To start, our server brought us a basket of chips and some salsa. The salsa did not appear to have any tomatoes in it, just a variety of chopped peppers, but it was good. The chips were very good, warm and coated with some seasoned salt.
I chose the chicken enchiladas and had them topped with green sauce (you can choose from several sauces). My meal was served with refried beans and Spanish rice. The food was not spicy, nor was it overly salty. This food would be good for StfRon, who right now is supposed to be watching his sodium intake!
My friend Jim had the tamales, which he said were very good, and finished off with some fried ice cream. The ice cream looked like fried ice cream, unlike some fried ice cream my brother's wife ordered at a Mexican joint in Macomb that, I swear, came out coated in corn flakes.

December, 2008 — Walt's Dos has closed

No comments: