Monday, July 09, 2007

Landmark Café & Creperie

I had an event to attend in Monmouth this weekend, so I took advantage of the drive and stopped for some shopping in Galesburg.
My event provided lunch, but when I drove by the Landmark Café & Creperie on Seminary Street in Galesburg, I felt a sense of loss at having not been able to eat there this time.
I have enjoyed lunch at the Landmark dozens of times over the years while doing some work in town. The owner, Phil, has always made me feel welcome as a lone diner, and I've never felt out of place in this quaint restaurant.
I have enjoyed looking at the antique toys and trinkets arranged near the ceiling along the back wall.
And I've always enjoyed the food. The Landmark, serving Galesburg for almost 30 years, offers several meal and dessert crepes, in addition to great soups, sandwiches, hummus, roasted garlic and a featured quiche and coffee each day.
I have tried the tuna crepe, which was actually quite good. My typical meal is the Healthy sandwich with a cup of spinach bisque, the Landmark's signature soup. I'm always thrilled when the viennese with cinnamon is the coffee of the day, but the cherry coke is a great second. They make it themselves with cherry syrup and top it with a cherry.
You can also order bean or ground coffee to take and enjoy at home.
Even better, on a nice day, you can enjoy your meal on their brick patio swimming with ivy and potted plants.
On the rare occasion when I have room, or occasion for dessert, the crepes cannot be beat. These are big enough to share, or you can get a half order. They even have a turtle crepe. Mmm.
I certainly miss my once or twice a month visits to Galesburg, and the Landmark is one of the places that tops my list.

No comments: