Monday, July 30, 2007

Schooner's

I think it's high time I gave up some love for Schooner's.
Schooner's serves up large, well, schooners of ice cold beer, great wild (or mild, be sure to enunciate well) wings and garlic wings, burgers, turkey burgers, chicken sandwiches (including an awesome buffalo-style bird), excellent tempura-style onion rings and more. Plus, a huge king tenderloin which is served with four buns. Great for sharing, or a good pig out.
The garlic wings are one of my favorites, covered with chunks of minced garlic. I eat these babies at lunch and have no guilt of my garlic breath for the rest of the day. I'm an unabashed garlic lover.

I am most familiar with the cozy War Memorial Schooner's in Peoria Heights, but there is one in Morton as well, and I have been there, and a Bloomington location, which I have not visited. The Peoria location is my favorite, as it's more like home. One wall of the restaurant is covered with photos of people and their morel mushroom finds.
The Peoria location also features a decent-sized beer garden of sorts, filled with picnic tables and tall wooden tables.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just had carryout last night. Rob always gets 3lbs of wild wings baked an extra twenty minutes. I opted for the turkey burger which is one of my favorites. It never disappoints.

Chef Kevin said...

Jeep -

A lot of places deepfry the wings then toss them in sauce and give them a quick zip under the broiler (or some process). Onely takes a couple of minutes. If you would bake the wings, it would probably take 20 minutes.

However, I don't know if that is waht Angie is talking about...just a guess.

Love the Gebby Burger and onion rings.

Anonymous said...

When they're baked longer, they're not as messy plus the flavor seems to pop.