Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sgt. Pepper's Café

A couple of weeks ago we were in the Route 66 vicinity, and decided to grab some grub in Springfield.Springfield reminds me of Galesburg when it comes to restaurants. Unless you want to go to a chain during non-traditional lunch hours (i.e., after 2 p.m. but before 4 p.m.) you are pretty much out of luck.
We drove by a couple of StfRon's regular haunts only to find them closed, and then he suggested Sgt. Pepper's Café.
Rolling up to the nice brick building at 3141 Baker Drive, we were glad to see they were open.
Once inside the restaurant, we were greeted and directed to sit where we like, so we chose a table near the window.
I looked at the menu briefly, but decided I would have to go with the grilled chicken sandwich my husband has raved about, topped with cheese and honey mustard.
I selected fried mushrooms as my side.
StfRon had his Springfield favorite, a horseshoe, this one with a tenderloin topped with fries and cheese sauce.
I sampled the horseshoe, but not being much into mixed foodstuffs, it wasn't my bag.
I did enjoy the chicken sandwich though, and the mustard had a distinct honey flavor. The mushrooms were piping hot and flavorful.
While sitting in the dining room, I spotted a mural on the wall that got me to thinking and looking around. The green and white striped awnings over the cash register area paired with the pattern of the pictures (some nice Beatles shots, of course) behind finally added up: the location used to be a Schlotzsky's!
The owner or manager was checking on us and bringing us refills, and StfRon asked him about it. He said yes, it is a former Schlotzsky's.
We tipped him off about the vacant Schlotzsky's in Peoria near Northwoods Mall, so if they ever move a Sgt. Pepper's in there, perhaps we will be the reason!
The Sgt. Pepper's in Springfield was opened in 1998, and there are also locations in Edwardsville and Wood River.

No comments: