Wednesday, September 19, 2007

White Buffalo

One of my mom's favorite stores is White Buffalo, located at 100 Harrison Street in Peoria, right across from the 401 Water Street building.
Operating in Peoria for several years now, White Buffalo carries a nice selection of handcrafted jewelry, pottery and art crafted by the Navajo, Pueblo, Plains and Hopi Indians, to name a few.

January, 2008 — White Buffalo is now open in the 401 Water Street building (no longer open at the Harrison Street location. Stop by and check it out!

June, 2008 — Another Central Illinois blogger informed me that White Buffalo is closed.

8 comments:

Fraochán said...

Is the merchandise actually made by Native Americans or imported? I have noticed a lot of "Native American" stores have their merchandise made in China (for example). Being so far away from such reservations makes me leery of whether or not it is authentic or imported....just curious I guess. We fully and completely support Native American Nations - but if we are going to buy such work we want it to be made by the hands of an actual Native American. *winks*

Peoria Peepers said...

The owner has said he travels to several states each year to pick up merchandise, like New Mexico, Montana and Oklahoma.

Fraochán said...

Interesting! Good to know...just I know ALOT of stores like this are selling imported goods. Sad.

The Blackfeet and Crow Nations - in Montana....sell beautiful works of art - I will have to see if this store carries anything from either Nation! My heart still sits at Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota....I would love to see businesses go their for goods...

Oh I better not get started today! :) Thanks for the info doll...I'll look into it.

My Flock Rocks! said...

I thought there was a sign that they were going out of business...have you been there lately?

Peoria Peepers said...

Oh, no! Not in a while. I will have to check it out...

Peoria Peepers said...

Yes, I went by this weekend. Sadly, they are closing. I'm not sure when the final day will be.

Peoria Peepers said...

Good news! White Buffalo is still open in the 401 Water Street building now.

Anonymous said...

The White Buffalo has closed. A few of the things Joe carried are now at Bibo Gallerie on Sheridan.