Sunday, February 17, 2008

Hoops Pub & Pizza

I used to spend a decent amount of time at Hoops Pub & Pizza several years ago, when my friend Minney worked nights at one of the local TV affiliates.
I remember Hoops due to their inexpensive huge slices of pizza and awesome calzones.
StfRon and I stopped at Hoops, 516 Main Street in Peoria Sunday, since it was after 2 p.m. and there is a limited selection of local joints open downtown at that time of day.
There was a small crowd watching the Daytona 500 when we arrived.
Our barmaid was pretty much on the spot throughout our visit; apologetic that as far as red wine, all she had to offer was merlot, but then again, it's not really a wine kind of bar. She was also handling tables in the restaurant.
StfRon scored with $2 Pilsener Urquell bottles.
We sat at the bar, and each ordered calzones. I remembered Hoops for their calzones and recall nights going to Hoops and ordering a huge slice of pizza and getting one free for dirt cheap.
On this visit, I went with a veggie calzone, choosing green peppers, black olives, garlic and onions as my filling.
The calzones now start at $6.45, and the prices go up after two toppings.
StfRon went with pepperoni, sausage and onion.
I saw Steve, who I remembered being one of the mainstay workers from our more frequent visits over 7 years ago, sitting at the bar.
The calzones arrived, and although being a little disappointed that they did not have riccotta cheese in them by default (it is an add on), I found them to be good, with a soft mozzarella type cheese oozing out. The calzones were served accompanied by a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
StfRon was a little disappointed to find that the sausage was a pretty much standard institutional pizza topping, but ate the whole calzone. I saved 1/2 of mine to bring home for later.
He also reported that the mens room seemed to be a little neglected. I didn't have occasion to visit the ladies room on this outing.
While we were hanging out, we noticed a handful of families with young children coming in, who seemed to be either leaving or heading to a Civic Center event, based on their attire. Which led me to think; where would families go for a meal downtown relating to a Civic Center event? Pretty much Old Chicago is about the only other restaurant right downtown I can think of that would be open, and it's a chain.
It was good to see Hoops catering to this clientèle.
Hoops is open from 11 a.m.-4 a.m. every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am opposed to the no smoking in bars law, but I must admit that more families with kids are going in to Hoops now that the law is in effect. Smokers go outside, and the kids and their parents get to eat there before and after PCC events and not have to breath the crap. It's one of the only success stories I've seen, though.