Monday, February 04, 2008

Superbowl weekend

We made it out and about a few times over Superbowl weekend.
Friday night, we enjoyed dinner at Bernardi's in Washington with my parents. Three out of the four of us had their tasty fried chicken. Yum!

Saturday we made the trek to Bradford to visit the Kaiserhof. I tried one of the dinner specials, pork chops with apples and raisins, served with Spätzle and green beans. The green beens were a bit done for my taste, but the pork chops had an excellent charbroiled flavor, topped with very thinly sliced apples, and the Spätzle was wonderful, doused with some mushroom gravy. We also saw Fraochán's family while there, which was a nice surprise.

Sunday we made a quick buzz through Step Back in Time in Washington to see if there were any chairs, shelves or trinkets we had to have, but left empty handed.
We made a stop at Kep's in Washington to pick up wings for a Superbowl party we would be attending. Or, fairly anti-Superbowl, as the case may have been. They weren't that interested in the game due to the teams involved, and StfRon and I don't really follow football. Once we got to our destination, I sampled the wings, and found them to be good, fairly meaty, and nicely coated with some cayenne pepper sauce. I can't say I paid a whole lot of attention, but it seemed like the commercials weren't that great this year.
A guest arrived later toting a couple of boxed pizzas. Turns out these pies were from Firehouse Saloon in Morton. The pizzas were Perdue pizzas, and they were very good, from the bottom of the thin, crispy crust, to the top, covered with Canadian bacon, banana peppers, olives and mushrooms. There was also a meat lovers pie, but I stuck with the previous one.
We started hearing some buzz about the crazy weather, and looked out the window in surprise at the rapidly falling snow accompanied by lightning. We ended up heading home around 6 p.m. The drive took us a decent amount of extra time, and it there was either sleet or freezing rain falling, but we made it home unscathed and chilled for the rest of the night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your comment about the pizza and the Firehouse Saloon in Morton and I decided to check out the Perdue pie myself. It was THE BEST PIZZA I've ever had!!! I highly recommend this place!! Thanks for the suggestion!

Peoria Peepers said...

Thanks for letting me know!
It's a great pie. Now I need to get to Morton and try one fresh from the oven!